The New York Blood Center (NYBC) was founded in 1964 and is one of the most preeminent and comprehensive blood centers in the world. NYBC serves the greater New York and New Jersey metropolitan areas consolidating the region’s blood supply and ensuring its safe delivery to those who need it.
BackgroundEvery day NYBC picks, packs, ships and receives back a large variety of equipment and consumables to over thirty-fi ve diff erent blood drives. Basic operational and regulatory requirements mean they need to inventory and track almost all of these items, which was mostly a manual process. The challenge was that some pieces of equipment cannot be allo wed to go to a donor site until they have been inspected or maintenance is performed. And if it is out for maintenance, to know where it went, when, and for what reason. Maintenance and repair records must be maintained for audits as well.
Key Solution Objectives
- Automate multiple asset tracking via scanner accurately and quickly using barcode or RFID.
- Capture historical and audit data to track asset life cycle management.
- Increase asset monitoring for high value items and location information for regulatory compliance.
- Reduce overall process times for pick/pack and item verifi cation for blood drives.
- Automate the asset preventive maintenance (PM) process.
- Insure all required assets are in place (loaded) for a location.
- Enable data mining capability for reporting, metrics management and analysis.
To perform these tasks in a comprehensive and integrated manner, AMG provided applications based upon its ViziTrace RFID software platform.
1. MC3190-Z RFID READER
The rugged design and high-effi ciency reader engine of the MC3190-Z handheld made it an ideal choice for the fastpaced environment at NYBC.
2. FX9600 FIXED RFID READER
A major issue for NYBC was creating an accurate picture of the location of all the equipment required for a blood drive. Fixed scanners mounted in validation stations ensured trucks were loaded with the right equipment.
Vizitrace is an out-of-the-box platform that quickly and easily integrates RFID technology with your existing business processes and systems.